• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

end of CS obligation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yobocker

In the state of Missouri, what is the age at which Child Support payments cease? Is it ok to just stop making payments at age 18 or graduation from High school? If the child goes to college, is it the custodial parents responsibility to inform the other parent of this, or is it up to the one paying to find this out. I have a son who is 18 years 6 months old, and is graduating in May. I have had no contact with him for approximately 4 years, at his request. I am unaware of his future plans, and talking to his mother is not much of an option. I don't know if he plans to attend college or not, and am not sure how much information my Ex is required to give me. The local college will not give me any.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

Okay, typically the age of stopping child support is when the child becomes an adult, which is the age of 18. Now, state law may have some special exceptions. For those, I suggest contacting a family law attorney at attorneypages.com (one in your state). Before that, read the child support subsection under the main FAMILY law heading at freeadvice.com's home page.

Are you trying to find out about the college plans of your child because you would like to help with college tuition? If so, I suggest doing so through a court appointed mediator or something to that effect. Try contacting the DIstrict Attorney's office and asking for the child support/family law section.

However, if you want to stop support altogether because you have had no contact with your child, and you want to use the child support as a leverage, that is not a very good thing nor moral thing to do.

I would go through a mediator or District Attorney's office and see what can be done.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">