• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!!! Contempt of court in our deceased dad's divorce case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ROSSCO

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I have a question. My dad became ill 6/02 and passed away 11/02. He was in the process of a divorce & I was his power of attorney. He was divorced 10/02 with property issues still pending with his ex-wife. While I was his power of attorney – he asked me to change his life insurance policies from his ex-wife to his 4 daughters so we would have money to take of his mother (our grandmother) I did these changes as he asked. One policy paid for part of his funeral bill – us girls paid for the balance. The other larger policy is a mess. It is in Federal Court – the truth we now know after many months is: his ex-wife accidentally signed her name on the owner signature line, which actually now makes her the owner. And we know now that there were temporary orders stating that they (dad and his ex-wife) could not change any life insurance, etc… And now in the lawyers are in the process of a motion to bring back to the divorce property settlement. Dad was also going through foreclosure – so after that there will be nothing left in the estate.

The problem we have now is: dad’s ex-wife has filed & served us with Contempt of Court for changing the life insurance beneficiaries when it stated that nothing was to be changed. We did not know that until this last month. Can we be held in contempt of court when we were not a party to the divorce?? HELP!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">