• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

?

? From Arkansas

My son turned 18 in January, 2000 and is to graduate next month, When does my child support payments stop to my X. Im paid up through his graduation date. I've always been current on his child support

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

Hmm, sounds like you and Yobocker have something in common (you should read his posting too).

18 is typically the age of adulthood, which means technically speaking, court ordered child support should stop at that time. However, does your child have college plans or business plans? Maybe you might think of paying or helping to pay for your child's education. Don't think of child support as a chore, it is supporting a human being, a human being you created. Just because legal enforcement stops at a certain age, it doesn't mean moral obligations stop.

hope this helps. and p.s., ask a lawyer in your state whether their family code has special exceptions (i.e. if your legal obligation does not terminate at the child's turning 18)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">