• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pendente lite and Contempt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stressed out

When my husband of 23 years said he wanted a divorce, he drained the bank account, stopped his direct deposit and was trying to cash in his life insurance. I filed for divorce and had a pendente lite order issued. We are also in Chapter 13 bankruptcy, which comes out of his check. The first 2 times we were dividing up the bill, we did it by net pay, which had him paying 62% vs. my 38%. Now, he has changed his deductions to zero to reduce his net pay, charged a $700 car bill to me, which is in both our names, added his personal life insurance, his lunches, and gas, which has left me unable to pay any bills. Can he do this, or is he in contempt? He still lives here. I can't believe I drove him to work for a week and filed jointly with him. I saved him over $2000 in taxes by doing so. He got the money from his mother to pay for the car and another $1500 to contest the divorce.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

1. Whether or not you live in a community property state (legally it means what type of ownership interest married couples have in property acquired before marriage and during and after). Now, I think whether or not you live in a community property state or not, what he is doing should be considered a fraud against the community or marital estate.

2. It does sound like he is in contempt of the order and looks like most of what he is doing is because he is trying to be vindictive (i.e. there is a hidden agenda somewhere).

3. Contact a family law attorney (your own if you are already represented) and let him/her/them know you would like contempt charges to be brought and another hearing to amend the original court order.

That way he gets his just punishment and you get a better deal.

Hope this helps.

S

stressed out

Thanks for the info. He makes 65,000 per year compared to my 24,000 and I have only worked 6 or 7 years out of the 23 years of marriage and do not have a college degree...just 56 hours. I live in Alabama, an equitable state. I have an appointment with my attorney tomorrow.

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">