• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JennyJNI

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Hi. I just joined these boards because I'm looking for some answers. Hopefully some of you will be able to help me out.

I'm 19 and I've never really had a good relationship with my parents. So there's this wonderful and amazing lady that have taken me as her own. I call her mom and she calls me her daughter. She is the most important person in my life.

So I was wondering, if anyone of you can help me if it would be possible for her to legally adopt me?

Thank you so much in advance :)

H

hexeliebe

You are 19. You are an adult. You don't need anyone to adopt you to live where you want or do what you want.

J

JennyJNI

Yeah it wasn't that, it was just that I'd want her to be my 'official' mother on papers and even if that might not count as much to others it would mean the world to me.

H

hexeliebe

You need to speak with a family attorney in your area. This is what is considered an adult adoption and although I'm not up on all the legal pitfalls, I'm sure there are some that you will face. I also think it's going to be next to impossible barring some physical and/or emotional need on your part that would require a guardian to be appointed.

J

JennyJNI

Thanks for the advice. I will have to let my mother know and we'll look into it! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">