• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving out of country with kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

foreign freaks

Ex-wife wants to move to Holland with my three children to be with her Foreign boyfriend. What can I do to keep my children here. What are her chances of being allowed to take them? Their ages are 14,11,10. We have joint legal custody with her having primary physical. Our divorce agreement states she needs mutual modification orleave of court. She states court will let her go even if I say no.

T

Tracey

She's dreaming. The court MAY let her go to Holland, but courts HATE losing jurisdiction over American kids by allowing them to move to another country. Once she moves, there's no way for the court to enforce its orders.

1) hire an attorney to fight her taking the kids out of the country. Get a preliminary injunction/temporary restraining order until the court makes a final ruling.

2) Apply for passports in the kids' names and request that they not be allowed to travel on anyone else's passport. This makes it harder for her to remove the kids if she's willing to ignore the court's order.

Good luck
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

F

foreign freaks

Tracey,
Thanks for the advice, I feel much better and have some hope now. Maybe I can sleep at night now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">