• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Is Family????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

indysucks

Could you please tell me what constitues "common law marriage" in Indiana, and if it is legally recognized in that state? Also, what is considered "family," according to the law????

I previously posted a question under "criminal law bulletin board" because of the following, for which I am still awaiting a reply:

My mother's paramour of 7 years (living in IN for the last 5) was pulled over in IN. When the officer ran his license, they found him to have an outstanding warrant for arrest for not showing up at a probation hearing 15 years ago (where he used to live, ie: his distant PAST). They extradited him to TX in 6/99. He recently got out of jail, and was trying to have is parole transferred to IN, where he could go back to his job, and my disabled mother whom he had been caring for. TX requested an interstate compact with IN (parole board). Mr. W. from IN parole denied the request because my mother is not "family," thus, an "unstable" situation for him to return. I called Interstate Compact, and they had never seen the request. Can someone enlighten me? My mother is his family, and he had a stable life until that dismal day in June of 1999.

WHAT CAN I DO to influence this injustice and blatant display of homewrecking behavior by the criminal justice system? Is there some statute of limitations for this warrant from 15 years ago? (it was for possession of a small amount of an illegal substance, for which he did his time -- he thought it was all over with, and so relocated - away from his ex-wife and their issues -- to start a new, sober life in PA with his natural family, then moved with my mom to IN to be closer to her natural family).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">