• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal issues of artificial insemination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hrtbrkr007

I was wondering if anyone knows the legal issues and documents that should be signed by the donating party to prevent later situations from happening. My concerns are the possiblility to seek child custody and/or visitation. I would appreciate some sort of insight on the legal documents that would prevent such action from taking place. I don't know if the request for the donor to relinquish or terminate his parental rights is the correct way to handle this. All parties involved have agreed that the insemination will take place and that the donating party will not be obligated in the support of this child. I would just like to make this a permanent agreement and know that I have some kind of documentation of the agreement. I will appreciate all the advice I can get. Thank-you in advance.

A

Advisor3

You might find something form nolo press, but I think that the termination of parental rights is the best general thing you can do.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "Advisor 3" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "Advisor3," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "Advisor3."

T

Tracey

Your BEST protection is to buy from a sperm bank. Sperm bank donors have no way of knowing if they have any kids, let alone who the mothers are.

If you insist on going private, see a lawyer to draw up the contract. I don't know if it will be enforceable, though. Some states won't enforce these contracts as a matter of public policy (parents should be on the hook for CS and should get visitation). Some enforce the contract (consenting adults can decide these things for themselves). What happens if one biological parent moves to a state that has different laws?

The law is constantly changing. The courts make one law, the legislature responds by passing a statute, the courts interpret the statute..... Do you see a little "Danger - minefield ahead" sign yet? :)

Hiring a lawyer to research this area of law will cost you more than paying the sperm bank fees. Also, if you're the person who wanted to use the 17-yr old donor, no contract he signs will be enforceable, whether his parents support his decision or not. If he changes his mind in 5 years, the courts WILL let him sue for visitation/custody.

Termination of parental rights is probably the best bet if you insist on going private. Check with a lawyer to see if this suit can be brought by a private party and if it can be brought pre-natally.

Good luck.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited April 24, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">