• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change in living arrangements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

merryll

Ex-wife has custody of my 2 daughters, ages 16 and 13, who reside in San Jose, Ca. I am in Riverside, CA. For reasons unknown to me, they had to move out of apartment she was sharing with her boyfriend and their daughter and my 2 daughters. My ex-wife, her boyfriend and their daughter moved in with his family and my daughters are living at my ex-wife's parents. I am very unhappy about the situation. Would I have any chance of getting custody based on the change in living arrangements?

T

Tracey

In a custody dispute, parent usually trumps grandparents. If she doesn't want the kids for some reason, and you are a fine, upstanding, fit father, you might get custody changed to you. If she's sent them there to finish out the school year or because they got evicted and can't move in to a new apt until June 1, you won't win. Why not call her and ask what's up and can the kids come live with you at the end of the school year if she still can't take them? Consult a family law attorney about your chances of winning a custody dispute.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited April 24, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">