• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

worthless checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

germany

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Hey!!!
I was wondering if somebody could help me out here.
A Friend of mine was living in Alabama back in 1988/1989 and wrote some checks on his own Account and the Checks bounced. The Checks where written to Stores such as Wal-Mart and so forth. About six Checks in all, the highest one no higher then maybe $350.00.
Totalling maybe $ 1500.00 to $ 2000.00 in total.
now my question is what is the statue of limitations for arresting and prosecuting someone on this???
he just received a letter from alabama telling him that he has to pay the restitution or they will arrest him. but this stuff is way over ten years old??? how can they still prosecute him???did the statue of limtations not run out yet or what???

germany

P

pass23431

When bad checks are written, they must be paid back, or criminal charges are sure to follow. Yes, they can still press charges even this late in the game.

JETX

"now my question is what is the statue of limitations for arresting and prosecuting someone on this???"
*** If charges have been filed and a warrant issued (likely in your case), there is no statute of limitations as to the subject being arrested. Once arrested, the local prosecutor may decide to not prosecute, but that has nothing to do with SOL issues.

"he just received a letter from alabama telling him that he has to pay the restitution or they will arrest him."
*** Good news.

"but this stuff is way over ten years old???"
*** And???

"how can they still prosecute him???"
*** Very easily.

"did the statue of limtations not run out yet or what???"
*** See above.

And some more good news.... if your 'friend' gets stopped for a ticket, etc. the officer will check him for 'wants and warrants'. When this warant (or multiple warrants) pops up, he will get a special bracelet to wear and be chauffeured to a very nice county or city owned facility. His car will be towed and impounded, with fees. All in all, not a fun night...... but he will get to make all kinds of new 'friends'!!

G

germany

i appreciate the help in this matter

but i have been told and heard that there is only so long as to how long they can prosecute you for something like this.
i know there got to be a statue of limitations on things like this
i know good and well that they can not sit there an still arrest and proscecute someone like 15 or even 20 years later for something like this

that would be outrageous

germany

JETX

"but i have been told and heard that there is only so long as to how long they can prosecute you for something like this.
i know there got to be a statue of limitations on things like this
i know good and well that they can not sit there an still arrest and proscecute someone like 15 or even 20 years later for something like this

that would be outrageous"
*** Not really. What would be outrageous would be if there were a statute of limitations after charges have been brought against you. In some cases (as here presumably), you were not in jail at the time of the charges.... but were out on the street.
When the charges were filed, you could very well have fled the state in an attempt to avoid the charges.... and with the intent to wait until the charges 'died'. If they were allowed to die, and you avoid justice, simply by fleeing.... that would be outrageous.
In fact, what we have here is called 'justice'.

Where you are apparently confused is that there is a statute of limitations on the amount of time that the prosecution can file charges against you (most crimes except murder have Statutes of Limitations, ranging from one to a couple of years). However, once the charges have been filed, there is no SOL for them to bring you to court.

G

germany

thanks for the advice

but i would like to clarify that it was not me, but a friend of mine who this is happening to

i appreciate the input!!

so what should he do now???
write to them and make arrangements to pay or hope an pray they will now catch up with him???

germany

HomeGuru

germany said:
thanks for the advice

but i would like to clarify that it was not me, but a friend of mine who this is happening to

i appreciate the input!!

**A: he ripped these stores off and you still consider him your friend? After 10 years he has still refused to pay for his mistakes and you want a "get out of jail free" card? This is life, not a Monopoly board game.

G

germany

checks

first of i wanted to say that you are entitled to your opinion,ok

i appreciate the advice :(D)which you did not give any;

i know it was wrong what he did, i agree; but in my book everybody makes a mistakes , no matter what
for whatever reason he did it- on purpose or something else happen, dont matter-he is and will remain my friend

but looking at your reply, i believe that anyone of your friends makes a mistake you dump them in heartbeat!!!

what kind of friend are you to leave your friend hanging in a time of need?????

:mad:

i am pretty sure you might have done your share of things too
did your friends or family dump you or did they stick by you and help to try to find a way to straighten it out???

germany

L

Lars of Mars

Let's see:

1. Alabama

2. Worthless checks

3. Wal-Mart and so-forth

That should explain everything.

G

germany

checks

what is that suppose to mean???

i might not be as smart as you are but i do have a major problem getting what you are saying

germany

HomeGuru

Re: checks

germany said:
first of i wanted to say that you are entitled to your opinion,ok

i appreciate the advice :(D)which you did not give any;

i know it was wrong what he did, i agree; but in my book everybody makes a mistakes , no matter what
for whatever reason he did it- on purpose or something else happen, dont matter-he is and will remain my friend

but looking at your reply, i believe that anyone of your friends makes a mistake you dump them in heartbeat!!!

what kind of friend are you to leave your friend hanging in a time of need?????

:mad:

i am pretty sure you might have done your share of things too
did your friends or family dump you or did they stick by you and help to try to find a way to straighten it out???

germany
**A: ok, I get your Sunday sermon and parabolic parable. What is the moral of your fable? You loan him the money to repent for his mistakes.

G

germany

homeguru

the fable of my story is: you just dont turn your back on your friend in a time of need

and i did not say that i would give him the money, but never the less i will not turn my back on him

i will help in any way possible, such as being a friend to him to stand by him and try to find a good way to handle this and whatever else he needs
but i will not sit here and tell him because of a past mistake i no longer will be his friend ok!!!!

i guess your family must really love you a lot, since you never did anythign rong???

germany

HomeGuru

Re: homeguru

germany said:
the fable of my story is: you just dont turn your back on your friend in a time of need

and i did not say that i would give him the money, but never the less i will not turn my back on him

i will help in any way possible, such as being a friend to him to stand by him and try to find a good way to handle this and whatever else he needs
but i will not sit here and tell him because of a past mistake i no longer will be his friend ok!!!!

i guess your family must really love you a lot, since you never did anythign rong???

germany
**A: anythign rong???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">