• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marring man who is divorced with 2 kids and need financial protection.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moneyworry

Very soon I will be marrying a man who has an ex-wife and two kids form this marraige. He has a set child support pay and no alimony from the previous settlement. I will be bringing in some fairly high financial funds to this marraige that we would both like to hold onto and not allow the ex-wife to get a hold of. We will be doing our own savings for the kids for future support. What do you recommend we should do to be able to hold our incomes and current savings/retirements so the ex-wife will not be able to touch these accounts unless we give permission? We would like to protect our financial state in all ways so the ex can not grab the money and run (so to speak)?

M

moneyworry

In response to the advice about keeping our funds in separate accounts, I live in Virginia. Does the separate and non-liable issue apply in this state? We already have this separate but once I marry my name will then change. I think, from past reading, that all of my things become his and his mine in the state of Va. So, there might be a possibilyt that the ex can examine all "our" funds and petition against them all. Is this not true?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">