• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right of child to choose custodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Misty610

At what age will a judge consider the child's wishes in determining physical custody in the state of Louisiana? Seems like it was either 10 or 12, but I can't remember. Thank you for your help.

------------------
"Sing like no one is listening. DANCE like no one is watching. Love like you've never been hurt. Like it is heaven on earth." ~Purkney

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Misty610:
At what age will a judge consider the child's wishes in determining physical custody in the state of Louisiana? Seems like it was either 10 or 12, but I can't remember. Thank you for your help.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The older a child becomes, the court becomes more inclined to order that which the child chooses, in conjunction with the "best interests of the child." Which brings me to my next point. The best interests of the child is what is important. A judge is very, very cognizant of the fact that a child will "gravitate" toward wanting to live with a parent who is very permissive; "Even though Mommy won't allow you Johnny, you can watch T.V. here in my house until 11:00 p.m." Or, when a parent is all fun and games: "Gee, Mom. It's so boring here. When I go to Dad's house, we always go to the park or to the Carnivals." Judges are very aware that it is the custodial parent who must act as the "Bad Guy" and kids don't like it. A judge will usually question a child about such matters and make the right decision concerning "the best interests" of the child.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">