• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fatther passed away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nurse_91101010

I have two children one is 31 months old and the other one is 18 months old their father committed suicide last year we weren't married yet but were planning on it we never got his name put on the babies birth certificate and therfore we don't knokw how to go about getting them signed up for his social security his faimly tried to hav ehis name put on the birth certificate but was unable to do so because the department of vital staitics says he can't sign the papers which is true hes deceased so do you have any Ideal how I can go about getting his name on there birth certificates his faimly is willing to do whatevr they can but we just don't know how to go about this and these babies are all we have left of him besides memories and we would like to see if we can't get this straighted out even if the babies never draw one penny we would just like to have his name put where it should be he wasn't present when the birth certifiates were filled out so they wouldn't let us put a name on them thank you for your time

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

I don't think you need permission from anyone to change the name on your children's birth certificates.

However, social security is another matter. your best bet is to contact a family law attorney at attorneypages.com and have them handle the situation for you, or at least direct you to where you need to go.

hope this helps.

N

nurse_91101010

Thank You very much for taking the time to answer my question.

T

Tracey

Bring a petition in family/superior court to determine paternity. Have his family join your petition. If his parents and/or siblings are living, a DNA test can determine whether he is 87% likely to be the father. (I think that's the legal threshhold.) The court will enter an order of paternity and you can then change the birth certificates and file for SSI benefits. The DNA test will cost some money.

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">