• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we kick out a 17-year old?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gbdave17

Our Son will turn 18 on June 1st. He has been kicked out of school, arrested for shoplifting, and last week arrested for assault on myself. We have arranged for him to live with his Aunt out of state but he refuses to go. Our we within our rights to kick him out of the house? Any help would be vastly appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gbdave17:
Our Son will turn 18 on June 1st. He has been kicked out of school, arrested for shoplifting, and last week arrested for assault on myself. We have arranged for him to live with his Aunt out of state but he refuses to go. Our we within our rights to kick him out of the house? Any help would be vastly appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Sure. For his birthday gift, have him served with a 30 day Notice to Vacate on the morning of his birthday. Or, change the locks.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

I

indysucks

Better yet, why don't you seek family counseling to address the issues underlying your son's obstinate behavior, and try to work with him on problem solving? Remember, it's not HIM that you don't like, it is HIS BEHAVIOR. Make that clear distinction now, or you will surely regret it later on.

The worst thing a parent could do to his/her child is abandon/reject him -- regardless of his age. Something's going on with him, and his refusal to leave your house to go stay with an aunt in another state tells me that he's got some things to resolve with you before he can move on. He's stuck, somewhere, developmentally.

A

armydad

a lot of problems with the world today is that parents are either to strict or to leanient with their children. there is middle ground.

if your son has become violent, i understand the desire to remove him from your home. he needs to know you love him but will not allow him to behave like that in your home. shape up or ship our so to speak.. i believe counseling is in order however as soon as he is 18 he is no longer your responsibility. my guess is that he has acted this way growing up and nothing was done about it in a sincere way back then, it is only now that he is actually strong enough to hurt someone or too big not punish that it has become a problem.. children need to be taught respect, love and disciplin through the years, not all at once.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">