• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination of adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelkisses77

What is the name of your state? WI

My husband adopted his ex wife's daughter after they got married because her biological father was causing problems. My husband lived in Illinois at this time. My spouse and his ex divorced after 3 years of marriage. We do not see nor do we request to see his step daughter, who is now 16. He pays child support on her because of the adoption. My husband has no emotional ties to this child. Her mother is also remarried. My husband adopted her because he thought he was doing "the right thing" at the time and now our family is paying for it. Is there a way for him to terminate his adoptive rights and obligations?

Thanks

Last edited:

HomeGuru

angelkisses77 said:
What is the name of your state? WI

My husband adopted his ex wife's daughter after they got married because her biological father was causing problems. My husband lived in Illinois at this time. My spouse and his ex divorced after 3 years of marriage. We do not see nor do we request to see his step daughter, who is now 16. He pays child support on her because of the adoption. My husband has no emotional ties to this child. Her mother is also remarried. My husband adopted her because he thought he was doing "the right thing" at the time and now our family is paying for it. Is there a way for him to terminate his adoptive rights and obligations?

**A: yes, shoot the child.

A

angelkisses77

Very funny. But let's be realistic, you can't shoot either of them. I don't want to make this nasty and give you all the facts about how the ex sps has made a mess of things. I am not here to bash her. I was just looking for a legal way to proceed. Honestly, this child does not need my husband's finances to make it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The thing is, the law takes his decision to adopt this child very seriously. Regardless of the reasons, he took that obligation of his own free will. Unless there is someone else willing to adopt her, it is extremely unlikely a judge will allow him to walk away from it. He's probably best off sucking it up for 2 more years.

sroutlaw

Short answer - no. He will be paying for two- seven years and that is just the way it is, legally.

Longer thought though - why are so many women willing to view the other "ex" as so awful and totally to blame for all the marital/child problems, yet not at all willing to see that their husbands, grown men in their own rights, CHOSE to adopt these stepchildren? I understand, of course, YOUR husband was totally innocent, duped and somehow stupid enough to sign the papers, appear in court, be questioned by the judge (for you see this is how these things work - good old evil witch ex could literally NOT have done this FOR him!). Naturally he had been drugged/duped/immature/manipulated from day one to now, and only now that he has YOU has he grown up, taken off blinders, got off the drugs or sauce, what have you, and NOW he deserves another chance. Ex could never ever have been loved by him, he could never have adopted that child because he wanted to make a *gasp* family with that terrible woman....Likewise, mean awful ex is so terrible that while Dh deserves to "remedy his mistake' of adopting her child, ex should have no choice in the matter. She is such a bad bad woman that she should take all the responsibility accepted by YOUR Dh in the adoption, as well as the responsibility for HIS decisions.....
I could go on and on but the fact is, your Dh is a big boy and you need to accept his past as his choice and stop trying to wash it away.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What I find saddest of all, is that there is a young woman here who has somehow found herself abandoned by two fathers. Not a word was spoken how OP's husband tried to build a relationship with her - only that he has no feelings for her. Poor kid.

sroutlaw

Indeed. And as I recall part of those adoption proceedings is to establish that the "new" father will act as a father in ALL senses - so this man SHOULD be charged with a crime in my mind. I mean, to maintain no contact after taking on this child who had already been abandoned, seems too cruel to be believed. Guarantee we will now hear how that is ex's fault or how DH was drugged/duped/immature at that time but NOW is a fully capable father...but in my mind men like this should NEVER have children.

sroutlaw

Yes, I am with you m_t , the whole thing is sad but it sure seems a trend here - the "new" wife comes in to inquire how to undo what her hubby knowingly as an adult chose to take on.

I see a lot of sad, abandoned children, and dads who should step up to the plate and instead of trying to chuff off these kids, should spend the time and effort they put into quickly remarrying and bringing MORE children into the picture, should have put that effort into keeping close to the adopted child in the first place.

Wonder if this guy will soon leave the newbie wife and try to abandon any kids they might have? Odds are on that at this point....sadly laughing thinking that his NEXT new wife will be on here ina couple of years talking about how he was tricked into getting wife two (three? four?) pregnant....

Ah the poor kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">