• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

violation of probation,plus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scarednfl

What is the name of your state? Florida
My husband is a 100% disabled Veteran. His disability is schizophenia and major depression. He is also on probation for an alcohol offense. One of the conditions of his probation is No Alcohol. He also has a girlfriend that he sees when he is going thru one of his "episodes" He only sees her when he wants booze. She is aware of the violation of probation and his other health issues but still furnishes his booze. She is also aware that when intoxicated he becomes very abusive. She has filed for protective order twice. This is causing undue stress on my family, my husband needs help with his mental illness issues right now as well as the addiction issues. What options do I have? We have a wonderful relationship when he handles his mental health issues in an appropriate manner rather than self medication at the hands of his friend. I have done the mental illness warrant twice in the past, as this seems to happen every 3 years or so.
What ever option I may have I need to know it, from every angle.
Thanks,

ellencee

scarednfl
When I read the words, 'schizophrenia' and 'major depression', I felt sure the word, 'alcoholic' was coming into the post soon. Apparently, your husband has been in treatment for his addiciton and hopefully, you received counseling as the spouse of an alcoholic.
If you have not received counseling as the spouse of an alcoholic, then please do so. You can start with an AlaNon book at your local library.
There is nothing you can do to control his behavior or the behavior of his 'girlfriend'. You could obtain and enforce warrants every day of the rest of each of their lives, and still he would find a way to drink when he chose to drink.
Either you can live with an alcoholic or you can't. Either decision is your choice. What you can not do is control him or his drinking or any aspect of his behavior. You only have control over your own behavior.

Best wishes,
EC

S

scarednfl

Thank you for your response.
Yes, I have been to Alanon so I am aware that I can only control my behavior. I was looking for a way to help my husband through his current psycotic alcohol episode without having him face any jail time and I fear he may get just that if I get a Protective Order as he is in violation of his probation. I am opposed to jail because he needs medical help for the mental illness issues, I am afraid he may hurt himself or someone else at this point. That is putting it mildly I have never seen it this bad in the past, we have been together for 10 years. If the depression were under control the drinking would stop, and I also know that may only be temporary. I realize you are correct that it is my choice to live with a drunk or not but the mental issues create the alcohol issues. This is more complex than alcoholism.
What kind of warrants can I get on them both?
Thank you for listening,
scarednfl

:confused:

S

scarednfl

My step daughter lives with us. She is 22, a full time student and she battles anorexia and wants to she her Dad to be more mentally healthy. I do protect her and am very protective of her. She has been with us for 10 years of her life. She supports what ever decision I make as we have a very close relationship. I am blessed in that one.

ellencee

If you have done the mental issue warrant several times, do it again, but you have to admit that you are trying to save him from the very consequences that he needs to suffer. He needs to suffer whatever consequences he brings on himself, whether it be to lie drunk in a muddy ditch, spend a few years in jail, whatever. As long as you throw him into treatment when you think he needs to go into treatment, you will prevent him from reaching rock bottom with the only way out being up and you will be taking from him the only chance he has to get himself up and to seek treatment for himself.
His mental illness is nothing more than a catch-all diagnosis for people with addictive behaviors such as alcoholism. If he were truly mentally 'ill', alcohol would not be the factor that exacerbated his condition.
You really need to let go and let God, just like the 12 step program advocates. Let him be responsible for what happens to him when he decides to take a drink and with whom he decides to drink.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'd also suggest that you consider some counseling for yourself. It might help you to figure out why you feel the need to save him from himself and why you accept his cheating on you. You might also want to consider getting tested for std's if you're still intimate with him, or have been within recent months/years.

S

scarednfl

I have been tested for stds.
I think i get it. I'll be filing for a protective order in the morning(it's too late here today) and he can just suffer the consequence of violating his probation. He did it I didn't.
Thanks for all your input.
It bothers me that she can act no better than the pusher that gives heroine to an addict and not have to suffer any consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">