• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgement small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbeene

I was awarded a judgement in Small Claims Court and the defendant may appeal. Should I proceed to collect the judgement or wait the 10 days allowed by court for appeal to be filed? What is the first step in collecting a judgement that I need to do since I do not have a lawyer? Thanks

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

There is a whole section on the judgment and collection process under the main heading entitled SMALL CLAIMS at freeadvice.com's homepage. it includes a link to the enforcement section. You won, why wait?
If they appeal, the judgment collection might be stayed, but at least you would have registered to collect it.

hope this helps

J

jbeene

Thanks for your reply. I went to JP court office today and so far no bond posted or appeal filed. Was advised must wait the 10 days and give the defendent chance to file appeal and if not by Monday, April 24 I can file to make public record and any expenses incurred will be added onto the judgement and can go after him.Thanks again and lots of luck to you..

J

jbeene

The appeal was filed and it will be a hearing before a county judge and unless he request and pays for no jury. Would I not have right to know the basis for the appeal? All I got was a questionare asking three questions. Do I want a hearing? Yes. Do I want a jury trial? no. Will you be represented by an attorney? not determined yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">