• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog at Large, Unlicensed Dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DChristian112

What is the name of your state? MN

Ok, I was about to let my dog out to do his thing. I was going to hook him onto a leash, and he booked. I called him for ten minutes, and gave up. I had to return inside my home to check on my children. I returned outside calling for my dog, and looking up and down the block for him, but could not hear him, or find him.

About 10 minutes later, a police officer came to my door. I heard him approach the stairs, and I opened the door only to see him kicking my dog that he had practically strangled around a rope. I asked him what he was doing. He told me to contain my animal. And demanded my DL. I asked what for. He tells me I have to misdemeanors coming. "Dog at large" and "Unlicensed dog".
I ask him if he is serious. I ask him if I get a warning. "Nope, gimme your DL now". So I give it to him, and again I ask him if he is serious, why don't I get a warning?

He goes to his car. And returns with summons to court. No fine listing, no warning, just, "You have a court date on September 15 @ 10:45 am" I tell him I will be fighting it. I did not think it is fair.
He then tells me my dog was chasing two children down the street trying to attack them and there are a lot of pissed off parents. i ask him who these people are and to let me hear it from them. he tells me that is non of my business. He then walks away.

Well, I did some searching, and he has to fine me. There is no misdemeanor in MN statutes that I can find anywhere. I have been searching for three hours.

My parent's dog got loose a couple of months ago, and the cops put out a flier, and the next day, my parents picked up the dog. The Chief of Police suggested they license the dog, in the event he ends up missing again. The dog stayed over night at the police station. My parents got no fine, no summons to court, nothing.
My neighbor has noise complaints all the time about his dog, his dog ran away three or four times a week. He said all he had to do was license the dog. No summons or citations were given. He eventually got rid of the dog.
Why is this cop coming down on me so hard? I was not about to go out looking for him with two tiny toddlers at arm. Sorry, I was not.
Is this legal? is what he is saying true?

Please advise.

D

DogToenails

You got harsh treatment because your dog was being mean. The police aren't as compelled to summons someone if their dog is just running around scared and confused. You said the cop explained to you your dog was being threatening to kids and I suspect that also explains why the cop was being so rough with the dog. You didn't say your parents' dog nor your neighbor's dog was being mean, and maybe that's why they weren't issued a summons (not that that is any kind of defense anyway). Also, where does it say you must get a warning first? What exactly is your defense?

D

DChristian112

OK, well here is the best part of it all.
I talked to the police chief, and he told me who called in the complaint. My neighbor, who lives across the alley from me, who I know, and hang out with, I know his children, and when my dog got lose today, I even shouted to him, if he sees my dog, can he let me know. He said sure.
My neighbors kids always come over and play with my dog, they are not little at all. They are like 12 and large children. My neighbor has been trying to get me to give him the dog too.
Well, he told the cops my dog barricaded into his home and would not leave, and was scaring the kids. Which is not true at all. my dog has been around toddlers since he was born, and never once has he ever been aggressive. My neighbors children always come and play with my dog, and take him for walks, and NOW they are scared of him? My dog always goes into their house when I go over there, and now it is a problem? My neighbor completely lied to the cops.
The Chief of Police said if I license him tomorrow with the city, he can drop those charges, and I can pay a fine, and not go to court for Dog at Large.
I just felt like I should of gotten a warning. Everyone in this town knows my dog, and knows he is so safe, and would never harm a fly. And the first time he gets lose, he is this big threat? I just do not get it at all!

I guess I was wondering if there was anything anywhere that states I am entitled to a warning.
But now I am wondering, if I pay this fine, do I have a misdemeanor on my record? I mean, isn't that a little harsh?

Thanks for your input!

D

DogToenails

Sounds like you're getting off with just an infraction equivalent to a traffic ticket rather than a misdemeanor. But regarding the warning; I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that you were entitled to a warning prior to a summons. I doubt warnings are even documented, so they wouldn't know who has one already and who doesn't. By the way, your neighbor sounds like a real tool.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">