• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice/Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BigSlurp

What is the name of your state? Georgia

An angry neighbor has been going around telling people in my neighborhood that I am a child molestor. Its completely untrue. I have never been investigated, tried, or convicted of such. Although most of the people who really know me know it isn't true, I have noticed that it has killed my reputation and relationships with my niehgbors that do not know me as well. Few questions here.

- Are there any legal or civil actions I can take against him?

- If I do persue them, what repercussions will it have upon my ife (IE: Police turning my life upside down with investigations, questionings, etc.)?

- How much proof do I need? Would the testimony of myself and fellow neighbors suffice?

- Flat out... do I have a case?

I would love any help anyone could give me with these questions. I want to know whatever I can before hiring a lawyer since I have limited funds to do so. Thank you.

P

pass23431

You can always bring a civil complaint against this person for slander, and yes, you will definitely need the statements of witnesses. Remember, that slander is one of the most difficult of complaints to prove because you have to show two things; that the individual did not make these statements innocently, but had malicious intent, and also that you suffered damages directly as a result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">