• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination of parential rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kirkmb43

What is the name of your state? virginia
my fiance is in a virginia state prison with 31 months left to serve.
her cousin is keeping her 6 year old daughter for her. her cousin is now trying to adopt the girl and terminate the birth mother's rights. can this be stopped?
her crime was possesion and distribution of drugs(a form of speed}. she got a 10 year sentence for it.

Last edited:

Seanscott

A lot may depend on what she is in prison for. Family violence, drug addiction, felony alcohol-related charges, are grounds to terminate parental rights in many states.

Not only will the cousin have to terminate Mom's rights, she'll have to find the father and get his consent, if possible.

If the cousin is successful in the termination case, that does not necessarily mean she will get the adoption approved. The child may be sent to foster care rather than remain with the cousin.

I guess the answer to your question is both "yes" and "no", unless you care to give more information about your fiancee's crime.

Hopefully someone will come along with better info than I have.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">