• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutory rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tanbaby

What is the name of your state? i am in georgia. my nephew is 16, got involved online with a woman from out of state. she came to georgia where they proceeded to have a little fling. they also had an automobile accident, which is how we found out what was going on. i have found out that the statute of limitations is 4 years in georgia and that the minimum sentence(if convicted) has been increased. my question is, when it states the age of under 16, does that mean 16 and under or 15 and under..the law also states that "a conviction of statutory rape may not rest on the unsupported testimony of the victim. there must be some kind of corroborative evidence that verifies the victims allegations." just exactly what does that mean?

JETX

Actually, the Georgia law on statutory rape is pretty clear as to the ages:
" Title 16, Chapter 6, Section 3 (16-6-3)
(a) A person commits the offense of statutory rape when he or she engages in sexual intercourse with any person under the age of 16 years and not his or her spouse, provided that no conviction shall be had for this offense on the unsupported testimony of the victim.
(b) A person convicted of the offense of statutory rape shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20 years; provided, however, that if the person so convicted is 21 years of age or older, such person shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten nor more than 20 years; provided, further, that if the victim is 14 or 15 years of age and the person so convicted is no more than three years older than the victim, such person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."
Under the age of 16 means not yet 16. The 'victim' can be 15 years and 355 days old. Since you say that he IS 16 (and if he was at the time), then he is of the 'age of consent' and a charge of statutory rape would not be supported.

"a conviction of statutory rape may not rest on the unsupported testimony of the victim. there must be some kind of corroborative evidence that verifies the victims allegations." just exactly what does that mean?"
*** That means there has to be some other evidence of the act or crime, other than just the 'unsupported testimony' of the victim.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">