• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Welfare Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vato_vargas

What is the name of your state? California

My wife has been charged for welfare fraud that occurred in 1993. A warrant for her arrest was issued in 1997. We learned of the warrant this year (2003). My wife was not a fugitive, and the DA of Kings County, CA could have easily ascertained my wife's whereabouts at any time. Does the statute of limitations apply?

HomeGuru

vato_vargas said:
What is the name of your state? California

My wife has been charged for welfare fraud that occurred in 1993. A warrant for her arrest was issued in 1997. We learned of the warrant this year (2003). My wife was not a fugitive, and the DA of Kings County, CA could have easily ascertained my wife's whereabouts at any time. Does the statute of limitations apply?
**A: no and why hasn't she paid back the money? She had from 1993 to settle the score. A good 10 years.

V

vato_vargas

Kings County has a bad habit of overpaying (without thier
client's knowledge), and then charging them for fraud. If my wife had known she was overpaid it would have been taken care of.

HomeGuru

vato_vargas said:
Kings County has a bad habit of overpaying (without thier
client's knowledge), and then charging them for fraud. If my wife had known she was overpaid it would have been taken care of.
**A: ok, on what date did you learn of the warrant? And you are stating that she had no absolutely idea of the overpayment at anytime prior to 2003?

V

vato_vargas

We learned of the warrant on Aug. 1, 2003. Since 1998, my wife has been paying child support for the same child, to the same county she is being charged, because her son lives in the county with his grandmother and recieves aid. The warrant was a total shock.

V

vato_vargas

Let me place the question here: Since I've been told that the statute of limitations does not apply,
what can my wife expect as a consequence? We do not know the specifics, her first hearing is this September, but we do know that she is being charged with felony welfare fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">