• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

boringal

What is the name of your state? Indiana

It all started when we had our home built. We would constantly find their children in our home and they broke several things slowing down construction forcing the builders to prematurely apply locks to the home. Then the real trouble began after we moved in. Their children would trespass in our yard and shine flashlights in our upstairs bedrooms. Their son, which we have the most trouble with alongside his mother, would constantly harrass, bully and even hit or kick my youngest daughter. Whenever I approached the parents it was always my issue and not their problem. They would play in the street ( we live on a cul-de-sac) and block our driveway making it near impossible for us to get to and from our home. They even would play chicken with our cars. The mother has followed my children to the park behind our home when they were having a picnic and started yelling at them and telling them what terrible people we are etc. for no reason. My husband went over and told them this had to stop and she treatened him and said she had a folder on ME! She went around the neighborhood to people we didn't even know and told these people numerous lies about me, one of which being that I was trying to kill children by running over them, and had people sign a paper against me. One person told me she came to their home 5 times harassing them to sign. She stands on her driveway which is right next to ours and stares us down but will never confront any adults but instead feeds everything through her children urging them to do things to keep harassing us. I have kept pages and pages of documentation, have called the police so many times, and today took pictures of the boy standing on the top of a heavy steel ladder that his mother placed next to our privacy fence so he could look over our backyard at me. When she saw me she took off running. They are now harassing the neighbors on the other side of them and several other neighbors have also had numerous issues with them. Everyone is afraid to do anything because they have seen how much of a living hell they have made our lives. We are now in the process of selling our dream home and moving way out in the country to get away from this but how much more of this do I have to take? What can I do to stop this? I am calling the police chief again tomorrow after already meeting with him 2 weeks ago!(He shot a pellet gun and cap guns at my 2 older daughters telling them and has also told several other neighbor kids they are real guns) He promised I woul dhave no more problems or he would haul them in! Yeah right!!!! If nothing happens I am calling the mayor! The trouble is that these people are a couple that are both eye doctors and her father is a family doctor so as politics go not much has been done.

What irritates me the most is that we have done nothing to these people and it seems the more we keep to ourselves the worse it gets! I have done everything so far by the law but am running out of faith in the system. We don't have money for aheated legal battle. I am a SAHM mom now with 6 children and my husband is working very hard to provide for us all. Please help!!!!! 4 1/2 years of harassment, bullying and intimidation is way too much!!!!

D

DogToenails

What county are you in? I'm in Indiana and can perhaps solve the problem for you.

B

boringal

We live in Shelby County.

You would not believe the Hell I went through yesterday. I was in my back yard again and then went inside and the boy started looking over my fence again. This time his parents moved his swing set over to our fence so he could see over. My oldest son took 5 pictures and also got some video. I tried to call the police chief and he was out so they sent out an officer that was a real jerk and basically told me I would just have to put up with it until I move and until they hurt one of us or our property there is nothing I can do about it(well they have hurt my children numerous times and they have damaged my property and the list goes on and on of the things they have done.) . The child is looking in my house windows and also my shed windows yelling out all the items he sees inside. When I told the officier this he told me to put a curtain up!
When I asked him why they are allowing him to play in the street with his remote control car and run it into my tires as I drive up and down the road and crash it into other peoples cars as they are parked in their driveways or on the street he said it was ok. He even follows me as I take my 2 year old twins for a walk and circles my stroller. I informed him that there is an ordinance that specifically states that children are not to play in the street unless it is marked and posted as a PLAY STREET. It is not! He asked me where I thought he should play in a very sarcastic tone and I informed him that his 4,000 sq ft home, 1/2 acre yard, enourmous driveway or the park conviently located behind his home would be ideal and is what most Americans do and are suppose to do! He said he couldn't enforce that! What?
So he must have went over there and told them I couldn't do anything to them so from about 3 pm - 11pm the next door neighbor parents and son and two other set of parents and their children all got together and sat out in the road with their young babies and toddlers ( that are unsupervised in the street all the time) all that time and played with numerous remote control vehicles and played music very loudly! I was so angry! When I had to leave they all looked and stared me down and made hand gestures and yelled at me. I woke up with a migraine due to all the stress.
I finally received a call from the police chief today and he informed me that he is meeting with the city attorney this week and will see what can be done legally to get this stopped. When my husband and I met with him several weeks ago he told us he knew them well and they were freaks and not nice people at all. Everyone we encounter always has a terrible story of their own of their experiences with them. If only we knew all this before, we would have never built our home here!!!!
Today another neighbor went to their home and told them their son better not hit their cars again. Later the next door neighbor (dad) flipped this guys kid off as he drove past on his moped. What class!!!!
Any answers? I feel sorry for the people moving in here but we have made them fully aware of how they are and have been completey honest.
What will tomorrow bring? My children are frightened at night that they will try to break in and hurt them and haven't been able to sleep at night. This has to stop!!!!

B

BB_Wolfe

My recommendation is to buy a HUGE flood light for your backyard and convienently aim most of it towards their master bedroom.

THEN, next time they entertain, take your stereo outside (if you can) and play polka music VERY loudly, without violating noise ordinances.

THEN, find a mean-ass dog, let him roam in your backyard. Next time a kid comes over, sick the mutt on em. Then claim the dog is a stray. Just don't feed the damn thing.

B

boringal

How funny! Unfortunately I have no idea where their master bedroom is located. We do have flood lights on all the sides of our home but the way our homes are built I don't think it will bother them. They are so weird that they would probably love the music but I will never know because they never have people over!
We already have a dog but she is extremly gentle. She does growl at their son though when she hears him over there because of all the times he has harrassed her through the fence.
I tell you the ideas that run through my head are to fill a giant squirt gun with slide dye that is blue and permanent and spray it in his face the next time he looks over the fence.
I have also thought about filling a giant squirt gun with Round-up and spraying their entire lawn or writing not so nice things in the grass.
The other idea would be to enlarge a picture of them that is advertised in the paper all the time and draw stupid moustaches, etc. on it and hang it all over town and especially through- out the neighborhood.
Believe me I have so many stupid little pranks running through my head to do to them but I don't want to belittle myself to their level, but man it would feel good! Plus I know anything would be blamed on us instantly and with the politics in this town they could probably get something done about it.
It just sucks that victims really have no rights!!!!

B

boringal

Tried to relax in the back yard again tonight and there is the boy climbing on his swingset looking over at me again. His dad was sitting there with him allowing him to do this. He even told his son to spray us with his high powered water gun! I am about ready to go postal on these people......... What would you do?

Beth3

I'd do exactly what you're doing - get the other neighbors involved, contact the police to file complaints about them under whatever statutes are possible (noise, criminal mischief, trespassing, vandalism, etc.) and then meet with the City Attorney to see what can be done. You've concluded that it's not a good idea to stoop to their level, which would be tempting but only give them ammunition to file complaints against you.

You do have the neighbors from hell. I feel for you. I can't even begin to imagine what prompts people to behave the way they are - and teach their children to behave that way as well.

In the meantime, grit your teeth and try to ignore it as best you can. (Easy for me to say, I know.) Good luck.

H

hexeliebe

Hell, I'd hide behind the fence and the next time the little brat looked over, I'd pull his ass to my side.

Oh, before you do this, pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees, buy some KC Masterpiece and a few lemons and mix a batch up.

Drag the little $hit to the oven, pour the sause over him and turn over about once an hour until done.

DONNER! Party of Four!!!:D:D:D

B

boringal

Several of the other neighbors have all had similiar issues with them but have seen how terrible they have treated us and will not do anything. I truely am fighting a one woman battle! My own husband ( who doesn't like to rock the boat at all and instead would rather let people walk all over him then lose a popularity vote) wants to just sit back and let them do what ever and forget about it. His logic is that is we tick them off enough that they will follow us or find us when we move and do things to us there. Now I can think of several charges to file if that happens!
The BBQ ,although funny, would be as appetizing as eating a rat soaked in sewage! I would rather sit back and think of more fun things to do back to them, like cementing that stupid swingset in the ground so that they will never be able to move it again! ( Don't worry I won't do anything to stoop to their level but just thinking about how funny it would be helps some what.)
I am still waiting to hear back from the Police Chief regarding his discussion with the City Attorney.
People like this need to learn that you can not go around treating people like this and get away with it. It is very sad what they have done to their children. That child may have been a very sweet person in the right enviroment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">