• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unhappy with Commonwealth's Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LennyS

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My home was broken into and police caught the 3 individuals in the act. The case was certified to circuit court and a plea agreement was made between the Commonwealth's Attorney and the defense attorneys which resulted in the most serious charge (grand larceny) being totally dropped and a conviction of burglary only for 2 of the individuals. Those 2 got a couple days in jail to be served on weekends and the 3rd person got off with no conviction because he had agreed to testify against the other 2 (he never testified as there was no trial). I am very unhappy with the plea agreement that was reached and had no discussion in the matter. These guys were caught in the act by the police and admitted to everything.There would have been no problem convicting all 3 of them on all the charges. Do I have any recourse over the way this was handled? I am very bothered by the plea agreement which dropped the most serious charge and resulted in a slap on the wrist. Thank you.

P

pass23431

Unfortunately, as a victim, you have very little to say about the way the justice for the wrong that was done to you is carried out. While the defendants have the right to maintain a defense of their choosing, and the options of continuances, and motions, as a victim, you must rely on the State's Attorney to handle your case appropriately. Criminals are given the advantage over their victims in this regard, and no, there is nothing you can do about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">