• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandoment Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbaker4

What is the name of your state? missouri

my ex-husband and I was divorced in nov of 99, we have joint custody with myself having primary custody. he was ordered to pay child support also. guess what? we havent seen him or heard from him since and no support. my husband now has raised my son since he was 3, the only dad my son knows. my son is now wanting to change his name to my husbands and for him to adopt him. we have little money to spend for a lawyer and would like to start with abandoment. i have no clue where his dad is, the address on our divorce papers are incorrect and does not forward it gets sent back. any help would be appreciated. thank you

N

NITELAVENDER

I have the same problem. My 4 yr old has only known her step-dad as her dad and she even calls him that. I was told to start with an ad in the paper of his last known address and surrounding areas and if he doesnt reply in i think its 30 days u can then go to court and have his rights terminated on reason of abandonment. Well at least thats what my lawyer in IL told me.

I hope its a start for u :)

C

craftymom

http://www.moga.state.mo.us/STATUTES/C453.HTM

Copy/paste the above link into your browser without the on each side. It will take you to Missouri statutes regarding adoption. Scroll down to Chapter/section 453.040 "consent of parents not required, when.." Looks to me that, when a parent has been continuously absent for the six months prior to the date of filing the petition, it's considered abandonment. Of course, you'll want to read more than just that section for whatever might suit your situation. And, naturally, consult an attorney.

J

jbaker4

thank you

Thank you for that I printed it out. All the help I can get is appreciated in this matter. I just don't know where to start. Attorneys are soooo expensive, if anybody knows of one in The Kansas City area that is good and may take payments please let me know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">