• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stalking and filing a report?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bubbly602

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Here's the situation:
I dated a guy for approximately 2 months. We split up, and he's been calling me all the time, following me, and he confronted me in front of a convenience store and started a verbal argument. He says that he's not stalking me, because he doesn't sit outside my house. His exact words were "I've been driving ways I wouldn't normally drive, just to catch a glimpse of you." Does his behavior constitute stalking?

My second question is, can I file a police report to document his behavior without actually pressing charges? He's never physically touched me, and I've never seen him following me. After he started the argument with me at the store, I called the police, and they told me I had to press charges against him, I couldn't just give a statement. I want to file a report or something to document the behavior should it ever get to the point where I need to take further action, but do not want to press charges at this point.

Any ideas or advice are appreciated!

C

CalieBayGirl

If you are serious about getting him off your back and moving on with your life, you need to take this issue to your local court house. Talk with the family Law facilitator, they can get you in the right direction as to how to obtain a restraining order.

You do not need a police report, but it would help.

Family Law Facilitator is your option.

VG1013

bubbly602...it sounds to me like he is stalking you. He told you he was driving ways he wouldn't normally drive, just to catch a glimpse of you. Then he confronts you in a public place and started an argument. He calls you all the time, and follows you. And he has the nerve to tell you he's not stalking you because he's not sitting outside your house????? Look, I don't want to scare you...but how do you know he isn't sitting outside your house watching you??? How do you know that if the next time he confronts you, he won't physically touch you? His behavior isn't normal, and it may get worse. Stalking is against the law, that is why the police couldn't just take a statement without you pressing charges. You can't just file a report, or document his behavior...without pressing charges. You should be taking further action right now...because as long as he is stalking you, you will be looking over your shoulder all the time. Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

bubbly602

Thank you both for your replies. I will go to the police station and file a report about the incident at the convenience store, and I will go to TESSA to try and get a restraining order. I appreciate the advice. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">