• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is there anything we can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ashleigh22

What is the name of your state? indiana
My husband was married for a short time right out of high school. He has been divorced from her for 6 years. She has since remarried (thus changing her last name) and divorced again. Recently she has been using our address and her previous last name to open video accounts and charge things in local stores ect... Using our address on forms but putting her name with my husbands as though they are still married. She is giving a phony phone number though. Living in a very small town stores are looking our telephone number up and calling here to collect. most have been understanding when my husband explains he is divorced no part of the accounts. We recently found out that she is renting and buying things on credit and selling them. Never returning movies and whatnot. Is there anything we can do about her using this address and a name that is no longer legally hers? Also through the grapevine I know she still has 3 drivers liscenses to use to open accounts her maiden name, her 1st husband , and her 2nd. We are afraid the small things will lead to huge debt that is not ours comming back on us from her. Thank you.

Your Name

Son of Slam,
I read this three times and didn't see where she said anything about a child or that he was still married. Did you post the wrong reply to the wrong thread?

A

ashleigh22

??????

Okay well, "son of slam" needs to either read and understand my thread or elaborate. Because clearly they do not understand.
We contacted the police and lodged a complaint. They said it was the beginning of a "paper trail". But the officer claerly stated it was wrong that she was using our address but did not say clearly if it was a crime.

B

bini

I do not know about her using your address. I believe that is probably illegal unless she is using it as a previous address and that is the case.

The part about her using your husbands last name however is not illegal. It in all actuality is still her legal name. If you get divorced you can either keep your married name or revert back to your maiden name. If you remarry and divorce again you can keep that married name revert back to the old married name or use your maiden name again. Sometimes it can get very confusing (alot of women will use their old married name especially if they have children with that name). I however do not believe you are suppose to jump back and forth name to name I believe you are suppose to stick with one.

Bini

A

ashleigh22

I guess I should verify. I'ts not that she is using our last name so much as, it isn't her legal name. She has not changed it back. And is only using it for the purposes of pretending she is still living here and married to my husband. To in turn have people looking for someone who is not recognized by the public by that name. Like if you look her up in the phone book it is her current last name and if you go to her place of employment ours is not her last name. She is clearly using this name and address to detour bills and other things like that. As far as we're concerned she can call herself anything she wants but isn't she doing somthing wrong by lying about her name and address? Especially when she fills things out with MY husbands name on them too. As in Mr and Mrs. When she is no longer the Mrs.? That is our main concern that she is dragging him down too. I'm sorry it sounded like we just wanted her to change her name. i did not mean for it to sound like that.

Son of Slam

Your Name said:
Son of Slam,
I read this three times and didn't see where she said anything about a child or that he was still married. Did you post the wrong reply to the wrong thread?

From another post:
Originally posted by ashleigh22
......My husband is paying plenty for what his ex is actually spends on his daughter.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">