• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

name change for minor/adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cherylfun1

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My 2nd husband and I married on January 2000. In April 2000, my ex-husband signed off on all of his rights to our 2 children together and named my husband as gaurdian. What do we have to do to have the kid's names changed to my husbands last name or for adoption?

TLWE

Take the "Consent For Termination Of Rights" and "Guardianship" papers to a lawyer and file for an adoption. The "Final Adoption" papers will state the name change as ordered by the judge. Then you notify your State Board of Vital Statistics and SS of the adoption and name change with a certified copy of the "Final Adoption" papers.

I don't know about every state, but you will probably have to furnish a doctor's certificate showing the children are mentally and physically fit; and show proof whether or not the children own any property. (I have seen these paragraphs in stepparent adoption papers listed as an Exhibits to the court.)

Since your ex has already terminated his rights, this should go pretty smooth and inexpensive for you.

Maybe someone with further knowledge of this will pick up on the post.

Seanscott

Hi Cheryl = I'm from Indiana and we completed our stepparent adoption case about a year ago.

TLWE is correct in stating that your case should go smoothly. There are a lot of "hoops" to jump through and the adoption process may take nine months to complete. In our case , the biological father contested the adoption at first, but then failed to appear at the remaining hearings. By the time we had the adoption granted, our total cost (attorney, court filing fees, home study, etc) was around $1400. It should be cheaper for you, but shop around and ask for a consultation with a good family attorney.

We did not have to furnish any medical information, but we both had to submit to a background check and a home study. We were asked if our child owned any property, or was listed in a trust, inheritance, etc.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">