• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attempted fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spots

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Last week I had a local business install a trailer hitch in my truck. They installed a used hitch for a different make of truck. Because it was not the proper hitch for my truck they had to make some modifications to the hitch to get it in, also because it was not the right model it was installed improperly and was unsafe to use. This was confirmed by both the hitch manufacturer (I sent him pictures) and another dealer of this brand of trailer hitch. They also charged me for all the time it took for them to try and modify the hitch.

They have taken out the previous hitch and replaced it with a new hitch of the proper model but in the process of replacing hitches additional holes had to be drilled into the bed of my truck (the hitch I had installed was a gooseneck hitch). There also was a plastic bedliner in the truck that has been ruined. At this point I'm trying to see if I can get a deal worked out to pay for the repairs to the truck bed and the liner.

They have offered to do the body work themselves, but they have done such a sloppy job on everything so far I want to use a body shop that I have experience with. They have also offered to put in a new plastic liner but I would prefer a spray-in liner which is about $200.00 more. He says I am being unreasonable.

Considering he initiall tried to commit fraud by installing a used hitch can I also persue filing criminal charges for attempted fraud?

If we go to small claims court I would include all the time I have had to spend on the phone and running around and taking personal vacation time from work to deal with this.

He should count himself lucky that I realized that the hitch was unsafe to use, somebody being killed by a large trailer breaking loose would not have been good, and could potentially cost him his business.

P

pass23431

From what you are saying, you have an excellent case for small claims. As far as filing a criminal complaint, intent is everything, and I just don't think you are going to get that here. Take him to civil court and recover your loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">