• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paige marcum

What is the name of your state? texas

As I understand the law, in order to adopt my neices, I need an affidavit from their parents that voluntarily terminates their parental rights. Do they have to appear in court? There is a question of their legal staus to be in the country? I can not do anything that would cause possible problems for them with immigration.

anabanana

What's the point of this?

Paige:

Why do you want to adopt the girls? Is this about preventing deportation, or what? Could be relevant.

ana

P

paige marcum

The point is two fold. One the kids live with me most of the time and their parents plan on returning to their country when they graduate from high school. Also, although the girs can attend school, they can not get "real" jobs, drivers license etc. It is about their long term future.

anabanana

ow. that's tuff.

Paige,

Surrendering your parental rights is a really, really, really serious move. Your brother/sister may be able to give you legal custody and guardianship without surrendering their parental status and it could probably be done without any court appearance. Are they working on getting legal? Is there any hope of that or are they going to be in that limbo indefinately? How old are the girls? If there's some time to work with, guardianship is probably better for everyone, but if they are nearing majority, that could change things a bit.

ana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">