• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

good dad, but no longer married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pixie6800

What is the name of your state? ca
my ex husband is a good dad and my two children live with him. he wants to adopt him but is there anyway he can without me having to give up my rights? i already have the paper where his biological dad relinquished his rights? please help?

nextwife

Sounds to me that pixie wants to let her ex-husband do a single parent adoption of her kids, WITHOUT relinquishing any rights, right? Biodad already legally relinquished rights,and ex husband is now raising kids.

"my ex husband .... my two children live with him. he wants to adopt him"

I'm confused about whether you mean both your kids or only a son. Two kids live with him, but he wants to adopt "him"?

I add another "Huh"?

And pixie, the basic definition of adoption IS a bioparent relinquishing their parental rights to the adoptive parent(s). That means giving up parental rights. When we adopted our daughter, we became legally responsible for her. That also meant we were the ones who had the legal autonomy and responsibilty in decision making.

P

pixie6800

I have two kids, the first being my son. when i was pregnant with him , met my ex husband.then during our marriage we had a daughter together. i was still very young at the time of divorce and the kids were better off with him at the time. i still keep in contact with them and also, my ex husband and i are pretty good friends still. when we were married i had my son's biological father relinquish all rights. he wanted to have nothing to do with him. but during our marriage we never started the adoption (step-parent). So my ? is this.... is there any way we can do that adoption without me haveing to give up my rights,or so the kids don't have to be separated, and so he can get medical and enrolled in school? or gaurdianship or something with legal statute? pppllleeeaasssse help?

also i never meant to offend anybody here. i'm sorry if it came across like that. my ex husband is a better daddy to my son than his sperm doner could ever be.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">