• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Man Arrested for DA in Washington State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lady_Thunder

What is the name of your state? Washington

Hello All,

Just needing to get some advice regarding a case being heard in Washington State District Court. It involves my brother, who is active duty military soldier.

My 21 year old brother got involved with and married a 25 year old woman. They have been married 5 months. My brother recently found out that his new wife was still married to another man. She stated she had only married him in order to help him get a green card to stay in the US. She began legal services, 90 days after my brother and she were married, to obtain a divorce from the first husband.

About a month ago, her violent nature came out when she attached my brother in their apartment, that they share with her 8 year old son. My brother's wife hit, scratched, bit and kicked my brother while he tried to deflect her blows. Eventually he grabbed her by her wrist to stop her from continuing her attack on him. He then left and moved back into the barracks. A few days later civilian police officers came to the post and arrested him for Felony Domestic Violence charges. He's been sitting in the county jail ever since...awaiting a hearing date and trial.

My brother has never even had a speeding ticket and has never been in trouble with the law. This woman however, has. It appears she is a conniver and particularly skilled at manipulating young, unsuspecting men, like my brother. She has been heard repeatedly saying, by their mutual friends, that the only thing she cared about concerning my brother was the 1st and the 15, military paydays. She has a history of using drugs; cocaine, marijuana, etc. Her conduct regarding men and women has been found to be...extensive. A few of their mutual friends have confided in him that she has already moved out of their apartment, cleaned it out COMPLETELY, and moved in to one of her boyfriends' apartment.

The military says that they cannot step in to intercede nor defend him, because the incident occurred off post. However, his commanding officer has offered to assist him in any way he can because he states that my brother is a very good solider. This military officer has also agreed to testify to that affect in my brother's benefit. He has already given a sworn statment, along with 5 other character witnesses on my brother's behalf.

My brother's public defender has stated that she doesn't feel the character of his wife has any barring on his case. She says she doesn't want to bring up the woman's past or recent history or character in at his hearing or trial. My family and I are puzzled about that. Doesn't it go to oppose her credability in bringing allegations of abuse?

What can we do to ensure that my brother doesn't fall victim to this woman's lies, ruin his military career and possibly be sent to prison?

:confused:

JETX

"What can we do to ensure that my brother doesn't fall victim to this woman's lies, ruin his military career and possibly be sent to prison?"
*** Simply, unless you can testify as to the facts of the case with personal knowledge, nothing. The matter is now in the hands of the prosecutor and your brothers attorney.

kat1963

If it where my brother, I would hire for him a kick ass bull dog of a family law attorney even it came down to putting it on my VISA card. I’d be researching the states bigamy codes, it could be a felony. I’d be gathering all the evidence I could. I’d also be looking up her ex, good chance she made up b.s. charges against him too…and geeee, think he might like to file for custody if she is charged & goes to jail? Perhaps he would even agree to testify as to HER abusive behavior and false abuse allegations?? I would leave no stone unturned!
Good Luck to your brother!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">