• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a child have three legal parents???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Carle

What is the name of your state? Colorado.
I am the step mother of a wonderful child who lives with my husband and myself. He has regular contact with his mother, but I am also his mother...in fact I am full-time. I am not trying to take anything away from his biological mom, but wonder if I may become his legal mother as well, especially since I am the one who helps with the homework, cares for him when he's ill, attends parent-teacher events, feed him and pack his lundhes, etc... Is there any precident for such action in Colorado? Thank you.:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Carle said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado.
I am the step mother of a wonderful child who lives with my husband and myself. He has regular contact with his mother, but I am also his mother...in fact I am full-time. I am not trying to take anything away from his biological mom, but wonder if I may become his legal mother as well, especially since I am the one who helps with the homework, cares for him when he's ill, attends parent-teacher events, feed him and pack his lundhes, etc... Is there any precident for such action in Colorado? Thank you.:confused:

My response:

Simply, no.

Unless there's an adoption, and a relinquishment of parental rights by the biomother, simply you'll always be the stepmother with no legal rights to the child.

The only reason why you're in the picture is because of your marriage. But for your marriage, you wouldn't even be in this child's life. Marriage gives you no legal standing to do anything with, or for, the child without the consent of either or both bioparents.

Don't confuse "love" with "legal".

IAAL

anabanana

And by the same token...

... also don't confuse legal with love. If you love this kid and you are doing what needs to be done, that's the point, isn't it? You don't need some legal brownie button that says "I got legal status because I helped with homework." Be there, parent the child, and you'll get your brownie points in that kid's heart.

The only thing I'd caution you about, if you really love this child, is that you should be aware that your lack of legal standing could be awful for both you and the kid if you and daddy have a parting of the ways. Then he loses a functional mom, you lose a child, and the law offers you essentially no rights whatsoever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">