• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple Parking Tickets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HawaiiVacation

I received a parking ticket while vacationing in Hawaii. When I got home, I paid the ticket. A few days later I recieved a letter from my rental car company stating that they had paid a parking ticket, as well...but a different citation number than the one I paid.

After looking into the situation, it appears that I was ticketed TWICE for the same parking violation within a 2 hour period (tho I only found the one ticket on my vehicle).

My question.... Is it legal for them to fine me twice for the same parking violation within such a short period of time?

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HawaiiVacation said:
I received a parking ticket while vacationing in Hawaii. When I got home, I paid the ticket. A few days later I recieved a letter from my rental car company stating that they had paid a parking ticket, as well...but a different citation number than the one I paid.

After looking into the situation, it appears that I was ticketed TWICE for the same parking violation within a 2 hour period (tho I only found the one ticket on my vehicle).

My question.... Is it legal for them to fine me twice for the same parking violation within such a short period of time?

Thanks!

My response:

You bet it is.

The first ticket was probably stolen by some kid. Then, when the Meter Reader came around again, s/he saw that your car was parked illegally, and issued another ticket.

Them's the breaks, and you're on the hook.

IAAL

A

amaj27

what if you come back to your car (in nyc...no idea what is a loading zone...graffiti, painted and boarded up windows and doors, etc.) and you have two tickets there, right on top of one another, issued within a two hour period for the same offense? Do you have to pay for parking there TWICE?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

amaj27 said:
what if you come back to your car (in nyc...no idea what is a loading zone...graffiti, painted and boarded up windows and doors, etc.) and you have two tickets there, right on top of one another, issued within a two hour period for the same offense? Do you have to pay for parking there TWICE?

My response:

Good question. Here's another "what if" scenario - - What if you had Cheerios for breakfast and you have two tickets there, right on top of one another, issued within a two hour period for the same offense? Do you have to pay for parking there TWICE?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further comment:

Also, what if you parked your car in a parking structure and the structure fell down and you couldn't get to your car and you have two tickets there, right on top of one another, issued within a two hour period for the same offense? Do you have to pay for parking there TWICE?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Uh, yes, all the way in the back row, next to Little Miss Smarty Panties . . . I think it's Hexy. Okay, Hexy, what's the answer. (everybody's hands down please. Hexy will answer).

IAAL

H

hexeliebe

<peeking over LMSP's shoulder>

The cherrios did it :D

The first ticket was for a parking violation. This does not give you a free pass. When the parking control officer returned to the scene of the crime, your auto continued to be in violation within a specified timeframe and therefore, another violation was occurring for which you received another ticket.

In other words, blame it on eating too many cherrios. It would work just as well as "But your Honor, I already have one ticket. I shouldn't get another one!"

A

amaj27

honestly, thanks....i mean it, but i really didnt need all the sarcasm.

H

hexeliebe

Boy, are we testy.....

This is not a capital murder case. The parking control officers make rounds on a time basis for just this purpose. Ever wonder why your tires are marked if there is no parking meter.

Well geez, the guy/girl is giving you a chance to move the damn vehicle.

You consider it sarcasm. We have seen this same issue so many times that if you had done a search you wouldn't need our answers. But there you have it.

Enjoy.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

. . . and, to top this thread off, writer "amaj27" wasn't even the thread starter - - it was "HawaiianVacation"!

amaj27 was merely a "highjacker" of this thread, and he WANTS "no sarcasm"?

Listen pal, the next time you might have a question, start your own damn thread and don't take over (or highjack) someone else's thread!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">