• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent adoption w/o Attorney???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MO
My husband and I have sole custody of SS (yes I am written into the order to have custody). We have been discussing adoption. It is getting close to the 6-month mark since BM has made any form of contact with SS. We don't know where she lives at this point. How difficult would it be to adopt my SS without an attorney??? We don't have the thousands of dollars to pay an attorney. Before we received custody many people advised us that we had to have an attorney or we had no chance. However due to finances that just wasn't an option. In the end we were give sole custody. Which leads me to believe that it is possible to do the same with adoption. However I do understand that is a far more complicated endeavor. Did we just get lucky with our custody case or is it conceivable to handle the adoption on our own as well??? I would appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">