• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aeslynmc

What is the name of your state? AZ
My husband forgot to put up the disabled tag when we ran into the bank, we do have disable parking, do we have to pay the ticket or should we request a hearing and just explain the situation?

H

hexeliebe

request the hearing and show the judge not only the sticker (placard) but also the form when it was issued.

By the way, there are way too many people who abuse the system or just don't have the right to park in handicapped parking. So, in the future just keep the darn thing on the vehicle.

A

aeslynmc

Thanks.
I always keep the thing hanging up, but when my husband took his boss in the car yesterday, his boss said "you aren't supose to leave that up while you are driving" so he took it down for the first time ever. I did not even notice that he had taken it down, and he obviously had forgotten. The tag is for our little boy, who is severely brain damaged and in a wheel chair. He is ALWAYS with us when we are out together.....

JETX

"My husband forgot to put up the disabled tag when we ran into the bank, we do have disable parking, do we have to pay the ticket or should we request a hearing and just explain the situation?"
*** Go ahead and explain, but it probably won't help. Reason is... the placard or license plate is NOT a blanket parking pass. It is intended to be used ONLY when the qualified (handicapped) person is in the vehicle. And since, in your case, "we ran into the bank", I would doubt that would qualify as being handicapped. How many times have you seen able-bodied people with the handicap 'hangers' park in handicap spots then leap out and walk to the store or restaurant?? Clearly, too many!!

Last edited:

tigger22472

It is true that it's supposed to be illegal to drive with it in the window. However, when we had one for my husband I seldom removed it for the reason that you are here. To save that trouble I simply got a handicap license plate so I didn't have to worry anymore.

A

aeslynmc

JetX, in case you did not read my above response, our little boy is the one who is disabled and he was with us.....we get very annoyed when there are not disabled spaces available when we have our son with us (which is ALWAYS when we are together) and they are filled up with non disabled cars.....so we NEVER take advantage of a disabled space when Ethan is not with us......we know why they are there....it is a regular Friday night stop and we have dozens of whitnesses as everyone knows us there and they all love my son to peices.....

JETX

You are correct, I didn't see your subsequent clarification.

It was just your choice of words in the initial post (without any clarification) that activated my 'auto-response' system. :)

Texas law makes it a misdemeanor for a non-disabled person to park in a reserved space, whether driving a properly marked vehicle or not. Of course, if the vehicle is properly marked and is being used to transport someone who is disabled, then parking in a reserved space is legal. To be a "properly marked vehicle," the car must have handicap license plates or display a blue or red placard.

Last edited:

tigger22472

JETX said:
Texas has started to allow citizens to file complaints of abuse of the handicap placards and, if/when investigated, the party can lose their 'abused privilege'.
*** as it should be. I don't use the placard when husband isn't with me.

Too lazy to lug your luggage from a distant parking spot at the airport? A check of 12 cars in handicap spaces at Hobby Airport - those closest to the terminal - found five with hang tags that clearly didn't match the license plate of the vehicle.

Don't want to get wet shopping on a rainy day? A spot-check of 13 vehicles parked in handicap spaces at Baybrook and Willowbrook malls found that three had mismatched tags, and five had license plates of one person and the hang tag of a relative.

It's entirely possible that mom was taking grandma to the mall, of course.

*** I tend to disagree a bit with the placard not matching the plates issue to some degree. If my husbands brother were to take him to the store or someplace then he should be able to use it in his car for the care of his brother. Why should my husband be restricted from riding in someone else's car? I hope they didn't ticket all those people without investigating first.

JETX

"Why should my husband be restricted from riding in someone else's car?"
*** Because where applicable, that is the law.

H

hexeliebe

Just remember aeslynmc, handicapped parking is a priviledge, not a right. There are many who fought to have the state laws changed and enforced so that your grandson could have access to all the things we do.

And, as a disabled vet who has never used a handicapped placard although after 9 knee operations I qualify, I am the most adamant about following the strict letter of the law.

I'm also the guy who stood outside of Central Mall in Ft. Smith, Arkansas calling the police 14 times in one day for handicapped parking violations, watched the police issue tickets that cost the violators $250 and testified in court on all 14 cases.

In fact, if you want to know how far I'll go imagine this scenario:

Car pulls into handicapped parking without placard or license plate. Two women get out of the car. Both were more than 250 lbs. I walked up to them and told them that I would call the police if they did not remove their vehicle. To which the driver replied, "I am handicapped, I just don't have my card with me."

Well, I replied "No you aren't, you're just fat and lazy."

She had her car towed, a fine of $250 and was arrested for 8 earlier violations of the ordinance that she did not pay.

There is no middle ground here. This priviledge is for a special class of people and as someone who is responsible for that person you need to follow the letter of the law. If for no other reason than to insure that others do not abuse it.

A

aeslynmc

Our placard is not designated to that car. We have a plate on the car it is designated too, the lady at the DMV issued the placard as well as the plate in case we transported Ethan in any other vehicle.....now if that is what the DMV said, how can they hold someone accountable for the placard being in a different car? If that was the case we would have disabled plates on both of our cars....

JETX

aeslynmc said:
Our placard is not designated to that car. We have a plate on the car it is designated too, the lady at the DMV issued the placard as well as the plate in case we transported Ethan in any other vehicle.....now if that is what the DMV said, how can they hold someone accountable for the placard being in a different car? If that was the case we would have disabled plates on both of our cars....
Before this gets too far off track... you have mis-read my earlier post. If Arizona does not restrict a placard to a vehicle and allows you to move it from vehicle to vehicle, great. My post only said that is not allowed in SOME states. It was not stated as, nor meant to, apply to all states.

HomeGuru

aeslynmc said:
What is the name of your state? AZ
My husband forgot to put up the disabled tag when we ran into the bank, we do have disable parking, do we have to pay the ticket or should we request a hearing and just explain the situation?

**A: the bottom line is that an infraction took place. The AZ law requires a proper tag be displayed in the specifc location in the vehicle. No tag, violation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">