• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Ticket Penalties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jazzandjerz

What is the name of your state? CA

While living in California for 4 months, I let some "friends", who also lived in CA, borrow my car (with Oklahoma plates) for 2 of those months (August and Sept. 2002). Upon returning my car to me, they informed me that they had received 2 parking tickets, but they had already paid them. I thought nothing of it, until I received a collections notice in the mail this week, saying that I now owed $200 after penalties.

I proceeded to call the LA parking ticket bureau and tell them my situation. I told them that I would be more than willing to pay the tickets, but that I wouldn't pay the penalties, as I had never received a notice from them (even though I had filled out a maik forwarding order when I moved to Colorado in November 2002). The lady who answered my call told me that they had sent out a notice to my California address in March 2003, informing me of the unpaid tickets. She said it took so long to send the notice to me, since I had out of state plates, that penalties had already accrued by the time they sent the notice. She told me that she understood that it was not my fault I had never received a notice, and that it was not my fault that penalties had been assessed, but that it was on my record, and there was nothing she could do to take the penalties off.

Can this be right? Can I be charged late fees and penalties because of something that was not my fault, and something I did not become informed of until I received a collections letter a year later?

S

sdstrooper

It's possible. The notices should be time dated with explicitly expressed due dates. The fact that it took so long you get to you is unfortunate. You could try to speak to a judge about it, who may or may not drop the penalties. You also need to re-register your car to CA or whatever state you live in and not lend out your car to morons who don't look where they park.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">