• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rape charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frankly

What is the name of your state? VA

What is the procedure for police if a woman reports to them that her boyfriend raped her, but she declines to file charges?
Are they not required to investigate?
Suppose this same woman then follows the accused across the country to move in with him?

F

frankly

Well, I was hoping for an informative reply. I am not a friend of the rapee, but a friend of the accused. I think he is innocent. They had been sleeping together for months, she got mad and claims to have talked to the police about being raped by her, and she claims the she has tape recorded a phone conversation with him saying "If you file charges you are going to ruin my entire future". Because the accusation, even if proven innocent, would make him unhireable in his profession.
And I think she is using this as blackmail to keep him. His recent behaviour and attitude suggests there is something very wrong in his life. And why would a woman follow a rapist 3000 miles to be with him?
I want to know if I am correct in thinking that if she talked to the police, aren't they required to investigate whether she wants to file charges or not? Would they have asked her to submit to a polygragh before they went any further? I am starting to think she is lying about even talking to the police.

H

hexeliebe

I want to know if I am correct in thinking that if she talked to the police, aren't they required to investigate whether she wants to file charges or not?
Yes. And they probably did until she left then without a complaining witness to testify, the police and the prosecuting attorney probably felt it wasn't worth pursuing.

Would they have asked her to submit to a polygragh before they went any further?
No. She filed a complaint. That's enough to begin an investigation.

I am starting to think she is lying about even talking to the police.[/
Well, sorry if this sounds flippant but DUH!

F

frankly

Well, actually she did talk to the police. I just came from the sheriff's office. The investigator said she chose not to pursue charges at the time, and that they didn't pursue it because it didn't ring true to them and she didn't really have strong evidence.

They were so puzzled that this girl would follow him to go live with him, and that he would let her.....unless she was holding something over him.

I suppse that's an even bigger DUH....

I am speechless.

frankly

Do you want to know what's more puzzling? If she would have pursued this allegation, she wouldn't have needed any more evidence. They would have been able to try him based on her testimony alone. That's what is scary with our justice system today.

Your friend should thank his lucky stars that he didn't piss her off. Who knows what she would have been able to accomplish...

F

frankly

Well, after talking to others who have been seen more of this relationship than I, all said the same thing, that the psycho went out there? They said he spent the last several months trying to end the relationship and she was like a crazed and demented stalker, manipulated him with every trick in the book.
I finally talked to him, made sure he was alone, and he asked why does everyone think she's blackmailing him? "Because everyone thought you were trying to get away from her, and there is an open rape investigation against you?" He was surprised to hear that, she had told him that she had dropped the complaint. He said he would call the sheriff, and that he and this lovely girl will take care of that, make sure the case is closed. Then he said maybe he likes this girl, likes her personality, he didn't want to argue, and hung up.
Guess he deserves what he gets. I think he has run out of lucky stars and doesn't know it yet.

F

frankly

Have found out this girl has prosecuted 2 other guys in this county in the last year and a half. Went to court, both cases dismisses. And talked to a former employer in another state who said she charged 4 or 5 guys there with rape, and some others with domestic violence in less than 2 years time there. Good lord, why isn't SHE in jail already?

D

dyinginside

she obviously has issues and its because of lunatics like her that real victims are given such a hard way to go with the legal system

bubbly602

just out of curiosity...

This might help out your friend at a later date ifhe ever decides to pull his head out of the sand and ditch her.

To those of you in the legal profession... If she filed a complaint, then dismissed it, or refused to testify, doesn't that mean she can't take him back to court over this particular alleged incident? It would seem to me that since she dropped the charges, or refused to testify, or whatever, she would not be able to take this specific occurrence back to court. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

to the OP: From what you've said, it sounds like you think this girl may be using the threat of bringing this back up again to keep him from dumping her. If that is the case, and I'm right about her not being able to bring it up again, maybe you can tell him that and he'll get rid of her. You may want to call the police station and ask about this as well, just to verify. Good luck to you and to your friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">