• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

practicing without license possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

attractiveme

What is the name of your state? IL

I have been practicing cosmetology/nail tech. for years, but I'm not licensed (although services were only rendered to friends, family and myself.)

I want to expand my hobby and begin advertising to the public, but I read that it is illegal to perform any cosmtology/ nail tech. duties for compensation. Is there a way to go around this...like not putting prices on my flyer at all or would putting required donation or something similar be considered compensation?

If not and I choose to advertise anyway...what happens to someone practicing cosmetology without a license out of their household?

Bigfoot

I have been practicing cosmetology/nail tech. for years, but I'm not licensed (although services were only rendered to friends, family and myself.)

I want to expand my hobby and begin advertising to the public, but I read that it is illegal to perform any cosmtology/ nail tech. duties for compensation.

--Contact the state agency that licenses beauticians. What you read may/or may not be illegal in your state. And, is this a hobby or services rendered for compensation?

Is there a way to go around this...like not putting prices on my flyer at all or would putting required donation or something similar be considered compensation?

--Laws are enacted to protect people.

If not and I choose to advertise anyway...what happens to someone practicing cosmetology without a license out of their household?

--If you are asked to be licensed, it is to insure that you properly know how to handle the variety of chemicals and hygienic requirements to safeguard your clients. One harmless looking cuticle board or nail clippers with just a tad bit of blood, hair or other body fluid can transfer a multitude of diseases. Of course if you practice illegally, you can be fined. If you practice illegally and get sued, then you can kiss a lot of things 'good-bye'.

Some people assume that since you can't see germs that they don't exist. Lice can be transferred. Fungi can cause people to lose their nails, fingers, toes, etc.

HomeGuru

attractiveme said:

I want to expand my hobby and begin advertising to the public, but I read that it is illegal to perform any cosmtology/ nail tech. duties for compensation. Is there a way to go around this...like not putting prices on my flyer at all or would putting required donation or something similar be considered compensation?

**A: get a license, it's state law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">