• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I adopt my niece without parental permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJ Hurtig

What is the name of your state? Texas

My niece who is now 16, has not lived with her father the CP since she was 7. My mother raised her until age 12...my brother moved out of the house when she was 7.

The mother was found unfit and has abandoned my niece. She has not seen, talked to or communicated in any way with her since she was 3. She also has not paid any child support.

I took my niece at age 12 and have raised her. I enrolled her in school; she lives with me, I claim her on taxes. Her father has not called, come over, or seen her in the entire 4 years.

Is there any way I can legally adopt my niece without her parents permission due to abandonment?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Only the courts could do that. Your best bet would be to speak with an adoption lawyer to make sure it's all done properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">