• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal adoption when someone else signs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

archangel6491

illinois,
when i adopted my ex-wife's son she had one man sign over his rights to what he thought were his rights to the child, then about a year ago my ex found out through a dna test the child has a different father. she is married to his father now. iwas wondering what are the legal issues on this. is my adoption legal. i have been told by a number of people that it isn't.
i need help,
archangel

nextwife

So ex and child's biodad are together and raising the child. You adopted and the TPR was not done by the biodad. Do you have a parental relationship with this child? Do you have visitation rights? And, are you paying CS while the child is living with the actual biodad?

Let's see. The other guy was lead to believe the child was his, then relinguished rights. Had he, too, paid CS?

haiku

why was a dna done on an already adopted child?

at the time of the adoption was the intent to adopt publicized beforehand? (that MAY mean bio-dad gave up his rights at that time)

Last edited:
A

archangel6491

Nextwife yes I have a relationship wt the child, I also pay cs. I have visitation with the child every other weekend. the other guy didn't pay any cs. I adopted the child when he was 10 mtns old.

Haiku, my ex and the bio dad were talking about blood types and both the child and bio dad have a rare type. yes it was published. what my ex told me was that she was seeing this other guy and fooling around with the bio dad at the same time. she was dating the other guy and got pregnant and she was hoping it was his. so to make a long story short, she had him sign over what she thought was his rights. she didn't find out that he wasn't he was this other guys until last year. the child is now 7 years old.

haiku

depending on your state law if the intent to adopt was published in a news paper and/or your state is one where an unmarried mother is actually the only one needed to give consent, your adoption may be legal.

A consult with a local attorney may ease your mind.

your bigger question should be how will you be handling this with the child?

best wishes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">