• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spouse's debt before we got married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kutznstuff

What is the name of your state? Nevada. I am just beginning my divorce and i need to know if I am responsible for my spouse's student loan debt that he had before we met or even got married?He's already giving me a hard time about the house that we bought TOGETHER, he doesn't think that i am entitled to anything as far as the house goes because the money that was used for the down payment was an inheritance from his grandfather that passed and because he was the major money maker of the house and paid all the bills. Am i not entitled to anything from this marriage and should i have to help pay off his student loans that he had before we met or married?

Last edited:

sroutlaw

In some states you might just be - especially if ANY of the debt was made when you were married (a last semester of college perhaps, or a consolidation of the loans). I know this because my ex was awarded ALL of our student loan debt (consolidated), majority of which was before we married. The consolidation happened after the marriage, so the debt was no community property, as it were.

S

VG1013

kutznstuff said:
What is the name of your state? Nevada. I am just beginning my divorce and i need to know if I am responsible for my spouse's student loan debt that he had before we met or even got married?He's already giving me a hard time about the house that we bought TOGETHER, he doesn't think that i am entitled to anything as far as the house goes because the money that was used for the down payment was an inheritance from his grandfather that passed and because he was the major money maker of the house and paid all the bills. Am i not entitled to anything from this marriage and should i have to help pay off his student loans that he had before we met or married?
~~~He can THINK anything he wants, but Nevada is a "community property state" and equally divided between the spouses. If children are involved, the parent who spends the most time with the kids, or provides their primary care, usually remains in the marital home with them. If you don't have children than neither one of you can kick the other out. Any debts he incurred before the marriage are his debts alone, and he is responsible for those debts. All debts incurred during marriage are debts of the couple, and your both responsible for those debts.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

If the downpayment for the house came from an inheritance, then you're not entitled to any of that money. You're only entitled to 50% of the increased value of the home since it was initially purchased - - assuming there was an increase in value.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">