• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business competition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

ppuaa

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

i have a tour and taxi service one of two companies in our small town. since 911 business has been so bad, competitor company has been taking over many of our contracts.

its come down to one major source of income from a ferry owner that brings tourists here from another island four times a week.
there is not enough business for two companies, now.

we have been servicing this company for 23 years. created the script, day tour stops, etc. when i found out that the ferry owner was negociating turning over our only source of income to my competitor I could understand his reason so gave him a call.

he said he wanted to help the other company out because they would go belly under if he didnt. they managed to get him a contract in an area that was off limits all this time and he bought them a van for it because he wanted this outlet to accomplish selling his tours.

seems they have already bought minibuses for the take over, seems they have been negociating for a long time about it, and i only found out about the take over a few days ago from a displeased employee that got fired from my competitors company.
competitor had a meeting with their drivers two weeks ago saying that we had too many complaints on the tour and the owner wanted to switch carriers as soon as the new buses they bought arrived. it buses are here.

when i told the ferry owner that if this happens we would go belly under as well. that he was the only contract keeping our company alive. he was very sadden and thought we would be able to survive not knowing the economic strife here.

he assured me that there was nothing wrong with our service and was please with our loyalty all these years. he first suggested and merger and then said he would have to re think his moves and get back to me later.

aslo asked if i could have some time to close the company, claim bankrupcy etc. inform him that i needed time to find another job because I have a second mortgage that was used to buy equipment, so my house is in jeopary as well. will lose my health insurance and husband is a diabetic with congestive heart failure.

shot out of the dark is do i have any rights in this matter. we have been operating for 23 years, competitor has been here for 5 years.

when they came in we all in the tourist industry advised them that there was not enough business here but the puc let them in in the name of competition. they are into everyone elses business as well. set up another rent a car office, kayaks, all the things we do here.

can i save myself with the same senerio. is it unfair competition if the owner of the ferry has assets in competitors company. is this a form of monopoly if my only choice is to close down leaving only one transportation company here.

I will lose everything if he gives this contract to the other company. there is no formal written contract between us. is there any agency you can suggest to approach in this situation.

thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">