• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Loveberry

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband and I have been married for nearly 30 years. I can't exactly put my finger on when things started to fall apart - best guess would be over 10 years ago. He has turned into a bitter, angry man and I would admit that I played a part in that. Things really became bad last December and I promised myself I wouldn't continue to live like this. Last February he took a job as an over the road semi driver. He has not been home much so nothing has been addressed. I have gotten used to being on my own. I don't hate him, just not sure I love him. He now says he is going to make a point of being home every weekend. The thought of that scares me to death. The thought of divorce scares me just as much. If I divorce him he loses his insurance benefits. Our finances are a mess. He would like to declare bankruptcy, I refuse. Would a legal separation address any/all of these issues?

VG1013

Loveberry said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband and I have been married for nearly 30 years. I can't exactly put my finger on when things started to fall apart - best guess would be over 10 years ago. He has turned into a bitter, angry man and I would admit that I played a part in that. Things really became bad last December and I promised myself I wouldn't continue to live like this. Last February he took a job as an over the road semi driver. He has not been home much so nothing has been addressed. I have gotten used to being on my own. I don't hate him, just not sure I love him. He now says he is going to make a point of being home every weekend. The thought of that scares me to death. The thought of divorce scares me just as much. If I divorce him he loses his insurance benefits. Our finances are a mess. He would like to declare bankruptcy, I refuse. Would a legal separation address any/all of these issues?
~~~Yes a marital separation agreement, also known as a property settlement agreement, or marital settlement agreement, is simply a written contract dividing your property, spelling out your rights, as well as settling problems such as alimony and custody, and other matters.

L

Loveberry

Would I be able to use an agreement to prevent him from filing for bankruptcy? Could he continue to reside in our home the brief times he is back in this state?

VG1013

Loveberry said:
Would I be able to use an agreement to prevent him from filing for bankruptcy? Could he continue to reside in our home the brief times he is back in this state?
~~~You cannot prevent him from filing bankruptcy...you on the other hand do not have to file bankruptcy if you don't want to. If the home is in both your names, and not separate property (belonging to you only) and neither one of you made any legal agreements as to who stays and who leaves...he has every right to reside in the home.

L

Loveberry

If accounts were in both our names is it still possible for him to declare bankruptcy and I wouldn't have to? Would I then become responsible for the entire amount? I'm sorry to ask so many stupid questions. I think I just keep hoping that someone will have the answer that will magically help me make a decision.

VG1013

Loveberry said:
If accounts were in both our names is it still possible for him to declare bankruptcy and I wouldn't have to? Would I then become responsible for the entire amount? I'm sorry to ask so many stupid questions. I think I just keep hoping that someone will have the answer that will magically help me make a decision.
~~~To be honest with you... you should consult with an attorney, who specializes in cases like this. There you will get all the answers you need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">