• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file a motion to amend my divorce w/o an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AndreaDetroit

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have been divorced since 3-8-00...in the judgement of divorce, my ex-husband is allowed to claim one of our children on his income taxes. He is $32,000.00 behind in child support and he hasn't filed his taxes since 1999...I want to file a motion to amend the divorce so that as long as he's behind in support he can not claim my daughter on his taxes.
Obviously I can't afford an attorney..I called the circut court in the county of the divorce and asked if this was something I could do on my own and the lady told me only if I know how...and there are no " forms" that I could just fill out to do it.
Can anyone give me advice? Maybe a book I could get at the library that would tell me how to file the motion?
Thanks in advance :)

A

AndreaDetroit

OK...I just found out that I CAN file a motion on my own, without an attorney...I have gone online to download the forms to do it...but there are a zillion of them...any idea of the type of form I should be looking for? I've read hundreds now and none seem to fit my description of what I need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">