• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ins. after divorce clarity...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jholc

What is the name of your state? IN

Thanks for some quick responses. I guess I didn't make myself too clear, but I am in the process of getting a divorce now (for the second time) and am contemplating countering over ins. coverage for me. I do have incurable, fatal cancer, which is not too bad now but at any day could progress to where I am unable to work. I am certainly not in the poverty income range, but I do not hardly make a third of what my husband makes. I am just afraid with the divorce and my insurance at work being stopped that I won't be able to afford cobra or even a new insurance co. probably won't insure me with my history and was hoping that maybe being with someone for almost 40 years would obligate him in some way to help me out. Wishful thinking I suppose. Thanks again.

3kidsmom

Most insurance companies, won't cover a "Former Spouse" However, once your husband removes you from the insurance, you MAY receive notification from the carrier, giving you a COBRA option to continue the coverage. At the FULL PREMIUM of course!

kat1963

In my divorce my ex agreed to cover me for 2 years (married 12, no children), which he did. The insurance company just need to see a copy of the court order. It's been 7 since the divorce was final & he just told my adult son (not his) that he still has me covered just in case I ever need *him* again. (rather stick pins in my eyes). Check with a local law attorney as my divorce was in MD.
Good Luck to you!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">