• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce form husband who is self employed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lumax

What is the name of your state? Washington
A friend of mine is getting a divorce and her husband is self employed. How does this affect child support and/or alimony payments? I ask because he can hide his income if he is self employed.

If I may, a second question:
How about pending litigation payments (pendente lite?)

Thanks

KAMIAKI1

My Ex was and is self employed. He liked it that way, so that he can hide and not pay the child support order. If her ex claims his income and files taxes, alls the courts will go on is his last 2 tax returns (usually). This will show that courts what he is capable of making. If she can obtain copies of his tax returns, that would help.
Hopefully he loves his kids enough to support them and won't hide like mine does. Good luck!

L

lumax

Thanks for the information.
I also just found out that due to poor money management, he has filed for banruptcy. Any ideas on how this might affect alimony and child support?

Thanks

KAMIAKI1

I do know that bankruptcy does not affect child support. You cannot claim owed child support in bankruptcy. What's owed for the children will always be owed until it is paid! FOREVER!!!! Child Support always comes first in Washington, and then whatever he may owe the government.

Jeter

If he's getting money off he books, you'll have to prove that. Otherwise he will only be ordered to pay a percentage based upon his income on the books.

haiku

past 3 years income tax returns, all 1099's etc...profit and loss for each year. CURRENT profit and loss dated up to court date.

usual financial forms listing assets and expenses required in most divorces

list of all bank and investment accounts.

child support is usually set using the average past 3 years income.

bankruptcy does not affect a persons current financial status. just because you are bankrupt does not mean you don't have a job...(usually) won't affect a future child support award-as bankruptcy only excuses past debt and not things like child support or income taxes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">