• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

semi open/interstate/friend/faimily adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mominwaiting

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

We've been asked if we'd be interested in adopting our (bear with me) nephew's seventeen yo sister-in-law's soon to be baby. They live in Michigan. Both birthparents and both set of grandparents are committed to this. We all want a semi open adoption (pictures occasionally as well as just knowing how he is through our mutual family members. The thing is, we don't know how to proceed. Do we go to a lawyer to draw up papers with our case specifc conditions? Do we even need a lawyer? What do about it being between two states? And what would be a ballpark figure on cost? Waiting period? Should we get a lawyer here or in MI? Should we both get lawyers or just agree on one?

I realize I've thrown alot of questions out there, but any help would be appreciated. Even if you could suggest some reading. (The baby is due in December, by the way).

Thank you so much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">