• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birth certificate lost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

proverbs356

What is the name of your state? new york. the birth certificate is for my niece, who was born in korea. she was adopted as an infant and is a naturalized citizen of the U.S. now, but she's lost her birth certificate in the process of moving to a new apartment.

nextwife

Where was the adoption done? Was she "readopted" or did her parents do a "registration of foriegn birth" in the state they resided?

WE, for example, readopted in WI, thus the State of WI has a birth certificate of record that my daughter can always obtain a copy of from the state's vital records office. NY allows a type of registration of a foreign birth for international adoptees. If that was done, a birth certificate copy would be available from Albany.

If the only birth certificate would be the adoption birth certificate, and that was done in Korea, you can write to the Korean Consulate and ask about the process of obtaining a copy of the one issued when the adoption was completed. My DH obtained a copy of his BC from a former Soviet Republic nation- faster than a record from NY!

P

proverbs356

Thank you for this information! I will give it to my niece. We both appreciate your help. The adoption was done in New York State; she was brought directly to the United States from Korea by the adoption agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">