• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce postponed, what are my options ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rannan3

What is the name of your state? ohio
I left my husband of 24 years in February, 2003, moved to Iowa and am staying with my oldest daughter . We planned a no-fault divorce, then he found out he has lung and bone cancer.
My dilema is , I wasn't asking for anything in the upcoming divorce except personal effects. And although I hope he beats this disease, I know the odds are not good. Since the papers are not signed or filed ( we bought them from an internet site ) where do I stand if he dies ? He has a 28 year old daughter from a previous marriage -- she was 4 when we married and we raised her together. I foresee him wanting her to have everything, but do I have any say ?
I have offered to go back and help him through this, but he hasn't said if he wants that or not.
I would appreciate any advice you can give me, there is the family home there, paid for, but my name isn't on the deed, plus 2 vehicles, and household items. He put his daughter as beneficiary on his life insurance when I moved out. But he has 2 pensions coming to him, plus mutual funds we bought together.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">